The controller of the personal information we collect is Nikkei Inc.:
Registered Office: 1-3-7, Otemachi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, 100-8066
Registered Number: 3010001033086
Incorporated In: Japan
We collect personally identifiable information about you through:
- the use of enquiry and registration forms
- your purchase of any of our products or services
- the provision of your details to us either online or offline
- your access to our websites.
The elements of your personal information that we collect may include:
- Basic information --- such as name
- Contact information --- such as address, phone number and email address
- Work information --- such as job title, company name/address/phone number/fax number
- Payment information --- such as credit card information
- Transaction information and market research data ---such as readership patterns
- Other details about you --- to be specified when we collect. We may also collect information that we request from you regarding your use of our services.
Use and Disclosure of Personal Information
How we use your personal information
We only use your personal information where we have a lawful basis for doing so, for purposes which may include:
- providing our users with a personalised service
- processing orders, registrations, service issues, feedback and enquiries
- conducting market research surveys
- allowing users to participate in interactive features of our service, where they choose to do so
- providing reports to our clients containing information about usage under corporate licenses
- running competitions, prize draws and promotions
- providing you with information about scoutAsia products and services (if you agree to receive such information)
- sharing your personal information with third party organisations who offer products or services which we feel may be of interest to you (if you agree to receive such information)
- monitoring compliance with our Terms and Conditions and Copyright Policy.
If you wish to receive information about Nikkei products or services, please check and indicate your preferences using the consent boxes when providing us with your personal information.
We also use information in aggregate form (so that no individual user is identified by name):
- to build up marketing profiles
- to aid strategic development
- to audit usage of the site
We use technology on some of the pages of our websites, which may record user behaviour, including page scrolling, mouse clicks and text entered. It will not record financial information such as credit or debit card details. The personal information we collect in this way helps us to identify usability issues, to improve the assistance and technical support we can provide to users and is also used for aggregated and statistical reporting purposes.
Who we provide your personal information to
We will provide your personal information to a third party only when we have a lawful basis for doing so.
We will provide personal information to some third parties to facilitate the running of our business or to provide specific services you have requested. Generally, we will provide personal information to:
- Service providers --- Such as business partners and to third- party suppliers we engage to provide services which involve processing personal information on our behalf. They can only use your personal information under Nikkei’s instruction.
- Organisation you work or study at --- If you access our services through a Corporates Subscription of the organisation you work or study at, Nikkei may provide your organisation with your personal information.
- Social media platforms and other IT platforms --- Personal information will be shared with social media platforms and other IT platforms where you log in, sign up or subscribe to our service via social media or other IT platform account, or use components of our service provided by a social media platform or other IT platforms. We also share your personal information with social media platforms and other IT platform partners for the following reasons:
- to prevent existing Users from being targeted with subscription offerings on social media platforms or other IT platforms
- for the purposes of targeted advertising on social media platforms or other IT platform, and to create lookalike audiences for these purposes
- to encourage Users to get the most out of their subscription
- Nikkei group --- We share your personal information within the Nikkei group listed here to provide our (including Nikkei group) services and to better understand the relationship between our (including Nikkei group) products. Sometimes services are provided between legal entities in the Nikkei group, which may involve the processing of personal information by one entity on behalf of another.
We will only provide your personal information to a third party in a foreign country (meaning a country or region located outside the territory of Japan; hereinafter the same) based on your advance consent by providing you with the relevant information on the personal information protection in such country, except:
- the third party is in those prescribed by rules of the Personal Information Protection Commission of Japan as a foreign country establishing a personal information protection system recognized to have equivalent standards to that in Japan in regard to the protection of an individual's rights and interests; or
- the third party established a system conforming to standards prescribed by rules of the Personal Information Protection Commission of Japan as necessary for continuously taking action equivalent to the one that Nikkei shall take concerning the handling of personal data pursuant to the provisions of the Act on the Protection of Personal Information of Japan; or
- as otherwise stipulated by applicable law.
Nikkei may also provide your personal information to relevant third parties to:
- comply with applicable laws, court orders or other valid legal processes. We reserve the right to fully cooperate with any law enforcement authorities or court order requiring or requesting us to disclose the identity or other usage details of any user of our sites.
- protect and defend Nikkei's rights, assets and properties, including to protect against misuse or unauthorised use of the services
- protect the safety, asset or property of you or the public
- success the title to our business or as otherwise required to do so by law
Joint Use by Nikkei Group Companies
Nikkei and Nikkei group companies listed here will jointly use your personal information.
The range of personal information that will be jointly used will be identical to the range stipulated in the above “The elements of your personal information that we collect may include” part.
The purpose of joint use will be the same as stipulated in the above "Use and Disclosure of Personal Information" part.
Nikkei will be responsible for the management of joint use.
Nikkei has appropriate measures in place to ensure that our users’ personal information is protected against unauthorised access or use, alteration, unlawful or accidental destruction and accidental loss. User personal information may be transferred outside Nikkei to data processors but they will act only on our instructions to provide the services required.
Transfer of Personal Information
The Internet is a global environment. Using the Internet to collect and process personal information necessarily involves the transmission of personal information on an international basis. Therefore, by using scoutAsia and communicating electronically with us you acknowledge and agree to our processing of personal information in this way. By agreeing to our transfer of your personal information to third party organisations for them to send you details of products and services offered (as detailed above) you are deemed to provide your consent to any transfer of your personal information to and from the European Economic Area, Americas and Asia-Pacific regions.
User Access and Control of Personal Information
If you wish to disclose, amend, add or delete the content of, cease the utilisation of, erase, and cease the third-party provision of any of the personal information which we hold about you, or update your marketing preferences, please contact [email protected] or visit the “Contact Us” section of our website. We will take reasonable steps in response to your enquiries or requests.
Children Under 16
We do not intentionally collect any information on children under 16 years of age. We will undertake to delete any details of such users where a parent or guardian has notified us that any such details have been obtained.
PLANIT // LEGAL Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH
Jungfernstieg 1, 20095 Hamburg, Germany
Handling Personal Data of EEA and the U.K. Residents
This clause applies only to the handling of personal data of users residing in the European Economic Area (EEA) and the United Kingdom (U.K.), in addition to the above clauses.
(1) Handling of personal data
We always process personal data on a lawful basis, such as:
- Your consent
This is when you have given us explicit permission to process your personal data for a given purpose.
- Legitimate business purposes
This is when we have a legitimate interest, as a
business, to process personal data. For example, when we are aware of copyright infringements, it is in our legitimate interests as a business to identify those responsible. We take due care to balance our interests against your right to privacy.
- Contractual necessity
This is when we have to process personal data to meet our contractual obligations.
- Legal obligation
This is when we have to process personal data in order to comply with the law. For example, we process and retain customer invoice data to comply with financial regulations.
- Your consent
(2) Cross border transfers
Personal data may be transferred to countries or jurisdictions outside your residence area such as Japan and the U.S. Please note that such countries or jurisdictions may not have the same data protection laws as your residence area and would not afford many of the rights conferred upon you in your residence area. We will put in place reasonable safeguards to protect information that is transferred in this way.
(3) Your rights
You have the right to access your personal data, request to delete your personal data, request to limit and/or object to the processing of your personal data, and request data portability with regards to your personal data. When Nikkei receives a request based on the rights specified above, Nikkei shall respond to such requests without undue delay.
You also have the right to withdraw your consent to process your personal data. However, this will not affect the lawfulness of any processing carried out before withdrawal of the consent.
You can contact us to exercise the above rights. We will keep improving our services so that more preferences can be configured.
You can lodge a complaint with your local data protection authority if you have a complaint regarding Nikkei’s processing of your personal data.
(4) Retention of personal data
Handling Personal Information of California Residents
This clause applies only to the handling of personal information of users residing in California, in addition to clauses of the main part above.
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may provide you with additional rights regarding the use of your personal information. These rights include:
- The right to access the personal information we process about you;
- The right to know what personal information is collected about you and if any information is sold or disclosed, and if so, to whom;
- The right to request the deletion of your personal information, if applicable;
- The right to opt-out from the sale of your personal information, if applicable; and
- The right to not be discriminated against for exercising any of the rights above.
You can contact us and exercise any applicable rights or by configuring cookie preferences. When you contact us and exercise such rights, you may be required to submit proof of your identity and/or address, if we are unable to confirm your identity or cannot verify that you are a California resident. When Nikkei receives a request based on the rights specified above, Nikkei shall respond to such requests without undue delay. You may also designate an authorised agent to make a request on your behalf, subject to proof of identity and authorisation.
Published on 29 January 2018
Revised on 1 January 2022
Revised on 1 April 2022